Summer time says picnics – but there are so many allergy pitfalls when sharing dishes! one of the biggest these days is Gluten allergies (or wheat allergy.) So I did some research and came up with a delicious gluten free salad – featuring one of my favorites, Moonblush Tomatoes. So this episode is two recipes in one, MoonBlush Tomatoes and a delicious Quinoa salad.
MOONBLUSH TOMATO RECIPE
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. Cut the tomatoes in half and set them cut side up in an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with the salt, basil, thyme, champagne vinegar and olive oil.
3. Put them in the oven, and immediately turn it off. Leave the tomatoes in the oven overnight or for a day without opening the door.
DONE! Could that be easier? and they are delicious – strong tomato flavor along with fresh herbs. I make this all summer long!
MOONBLUSH TOMATO QUINOA SALAD RECIPE
- 2 cups quinoa
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, homemade or canned low-sodium broth
- 2 cups Moonblush Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped red raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped craisins
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
Place the quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve and rinse under cold water until the water runs clear. (***in the video I did not do this step because I bought “prerinsed” quinoa at the store*** ) Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the quinoa and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer the quinoa until it has expanded fully, about 20 to 25 minutes. Uncover, fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
Place the cooled quinoa in a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, raisins, rice vinegar, orange juice and zest, olive oil, cumin, cucumber and parsley and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, then serve.