One of my favorite things to do – particularly on a winter evening – is to have breakfast for dinner. Nothing hits the spot nicer than my Mom’s traditional frittata. However, her recipe makes enough for a small army of kids (which I do not have) – – – and uses bacon and 1/2 and 1/2 – so I made mine a teensy bit more on the healthy side. Still delicious – and true to the easy secrets of my Mom’s master recipe.
The thing I appreciate most about Mom’s recipe is how versatile it is. The ideas for fillings are endless! The photo above is a frittata with roasted zucchini and eggplant (and an invisible layer of rotisserie chicken). Once you figure out the base egg custard (cheese, milk or 1/2 and 1/2, and eggs?) the possibilities here are endless, and delicious!
I love sharing cooking notes with my family – my Mom tests a lot of my recipes – and my neice, Courtney, is an executive chef in Lakeside Park, Kentucky… so it runs in the family. I hope you enjoy this new episode of Bob’s Kitchen!
How To Video:
Bob McDiarmid’s Chicken, Sausage and Fresh Vegetable Frittata
- 4 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 14.5 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes, drained of excess juice
- 2 cups grated cheese (I use sharp cheddar)
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder mixed into 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard.
- 1 cup freshly steamed green beans
- 1 cup fresh steamed broccoli
- 1 chicken breast – from a rotisserie chicken, forked
- 2 links thinly sliced spicy sausage
- a sprinkle of smoked paprika
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste
In a 7 x 11 casserole (spray bottom) spread half the cheese, layer in the chicken, then one by one the rest of the ingredients. Add the remaining cheese plus the mozzarella. In a bowl combine eggs, salt, milk, parsley, flour and chipotle mustard, blend and pour over chicken. Bake at 350, 35-40 mins until custard is set in the middle and a knife comes out clean. Let sit for 5 mins before cutting. Can be served hot or just room temperature.
Mom McDiarmid’s Classic Frittata
- 8 eggs slightly beaten
- 3 cups grated cheese (I use sharp cheddar)
- 1 cup diced mozzarella cheese
- 4 or 5 dashes of tabasco
- 1 medium size zucchini thinly sliced and lightly sautéed
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 4 strips of bacon, crumbled
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 & 2/3 cups half & half
- 1/2 C flour
- pepper to taste
- grated parmesan or romano cheese
In a 9 x 13 casserole (spray bottom) spread half the cheese, layer in the chicken, then the bacon and cooked zucchini. Add the remaining cheese plus the mozzarella. In a bowl combine eggs, salt, milk, parsley, flour and tabasco, blend and pour over chicken. Sprinkle lightly with parmesan and paprika. Bake at 350, 35-40 mins until custard is set in the middle and a knife comes out clean. Let sit for 5 mins before cutting. Can be served hot or just room temperature.